Skip the “mac” and you won’t even miss it with this simple, delicious recipe! It’s a spin on classic comfort food, and this four cheese cauliflower keto mac and cheese is just like the real thing, with a lot less carbs.
This casserole is hearty enough to eat as a meal by itself, or serve it with your favorite protein as a side. And while this recipe calls for cream cheese, Parmesan, cheddar and Gruyere, you can always substitute your favorite hard cheeses for the cheddar and the Gruyere.
Making Keto “Mac” and Cheese
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil the cauliflower florets until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the cauliflower really well. Make sure to lay it out on a paper towel lined plate for a couple of minutes and pat dry. Pour the cauliflower in an even layer into a prepared 9×13 inch baking dish.
Next, bring the cream to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the cream cheese (cut it into cubes to help it melt more easily) and mustard and continue to stir until smooth. Turn the heat down to low and stir in cheddar, Gruyere, salt, and pepper. Continue to stir until the cheese melts. Turn off the heat and whisk in the beaten egg and xanthan gum.
Pour the sauce evenly over the cauliflower, and top with parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling. To get the cheese all nice and browned, turn the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with fresh or dried parsley and serve this keto mac and cheese warm.
Four Cheese Cauliflower "Mac" and CheesePrint Pin Rate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 cups cauliflower florets cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum optional
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh or dried parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Boil the cauliflower florets until crisp-tender, for about 5 minutes. Drain really well and lay out on a paper towel lined plate and pat dry. Pour the cauliflower in an even layer into the prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan over medium/high heat, bring cream to a simmer. Whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Turn heat down to low and stir in cheddar, gruyere, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts. Turn off the heat and whisk in beaten egg and xanthan gum.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the cauliflower. Top with parmesan cheese and bake for 15 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling. Turn the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes to brown the top of the casserole. Garnish with fresh or dried parsley and serve warm.
Sounds yummy, right? As I mentioned, you can definitely serve this casserole as a meal on its own (it reheats well and would make a filling lunch!) or as a side. I’ve got even more recipes for side dishes here!