Keto stuffed chicken thighs are on the menu for dinner, and I am sure you’re going to love this recipe. Crispy chicken thighs stuffed with fresh spinach, creamy gruyere, and salty proscuitto. What’s not to love in a meal like that!
This dish is a great dinner option for a ketogenic diet. Chicken thighs have higher fat content compared to other cuts of chicken, especially if you can buy them with the skin on (which is the best part in my opinion!) Most of the time when you are looking at pre-packaged chicken you’ll find two options: skinless and boneless, or skin on/bone in. Your butcher will be happy to help if you ask to have some chicken thighs de-boned while keeping the skin on.
Just a few tips for this keto stuffed chicken thigh recipe:
1) Make sure you put the stuffing mixture in the very center of the chicken thighs and roll them up tight!
2) If you don’t have a meat mallet, no problem. Just lay a piece of cling wrap over the chicken and use a rolling pin or a heavy spoon to pound out the chicken.
3) Get that pan HOT! Putting the chicken in a super hot pan ensures that the skin gets nice and crispy.
Stuffed Chicken Thighs With Crispy Skin
Start by preheating the oven. In a mixing bowl, mix together the proscuitto, spinach, and cheese.
Pound out the chicken (see #2 above) and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
Place an even amount of the cheese and spinach mixture in the center of each thigh. Roll them up tight (see #1 above.)
Next, heat the oil over high heat in a large oven-safe sauté pan or cast iron skillet. Remember, get it hot, hot, hot! Place each thigh in the pan, skin side up. After about 2 minutes, flip over so the skin side is down for an additional 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes to render the fat.
Flip the chicken over one last time, so the skin is facing up again. Place the skillet in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Your keto stuffed chicken thighs are now ready to serve!
Stuffed Chicken Thighs with Crispy Skin
- 6 large Chicken Thighs deboned and skin on
- 1/4 lbs Prosciutto chopped
- 1/2 c Gruyere grated
- 1 c Baby Spinach chopped
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning or Poultry Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- In a bowl, combine the prosciutto, spinach, and cheese.
- Pound out chicken thighs, skin side down, to an even thickness; about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning over chicken.
- Use 1/6 of the amount of prosciutto filling and place it in the center of each thigh. Roll up the thighs and season skin with salt and pepper.
- In a large oven-safe sauté pan or cast iron skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Place each thigh in the pan with skin side up. After about 2 minutes, flip over with skin side down for an additional 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes to render the fat.
- Flip chicken over one last time, with skin facing up, and place in preheated oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.