Keto stuffed chicken thighs are a great dinner option for a ketogenic diet as they have higher fat content compared to other cuts of chicken, especially if you can buy them with the skin on (which is the best part in my opinion!). Most of the time when you are looking at pre-packaged chicken they have two options; skinless and boneless or skin on/bone in. If you can, go to the butcher counter and they will be happy to debone some chicken thighs for you while keeping the skin on.
Just a few tips for this keto stuffed chicken thigh recipe; 1) Make sure you put the stuffing mixture in the very center of the chicken thighs and roll them up tight! 2) If you don’t have a meat mallet, lay a piece of cling wrap over the chicken and you can use a rolling pin or a heavy spoon to pound out the chicken. 3) Get that pan HOT! you want to put your chicken in a super hot pan in order to really crisp up the skin.
Stuffed Chicken Thighs with Crispy Skin
- 6 large Chicken Thighs deboned and skin on
- 1/4 lbs Prosciutto chopped
- 1/2 c Gruyere grated
- 1 c Baby Spinach chopped
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning or Poultry Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- In a bowl, combine the prosciutto, spinach, and cheese.
- Pound out chicken thighs, skin side down, to an even thickness; about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning over chicken.
- Use 1/6 of the amount of prosciutto filling and place it in the center of each thigh. Roll up the thighs and season skin with salt and pepper.
- In a large oven-safe sauté pan or cast iron skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Place each thigh in the pan with skin side up. After about 2 minutes, flip over with skin side down for an additional 2 minutes. Lower heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes to render the fat.
- Flip chicken over one last time, with skin facing up, and place in preheated oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.