During the holidays, does your family make homemade eggnog? It’s a holiday favorite for many. It also has a lot of unwanted calories, carbs, and sugar. This Keto Eggnog recipe gets rid of all of those things without giving up any of the rich, creamy flavors in this traditional drink.
While eggnog is traditionally made with rum or bourbon, it’s not a necessary element in this keto eggnog version. If you would like to add a bit less, or leave it out altogether, feel free!
You start out by whisking the eggs and Swerve together until they become light and airy. Next you’ll combine heavy cream, almond milk, and spices in a saucepan until it reaches a simmer. Take about 1/4 cup of the milk mixture and pour it into the egg mixture, whisking the entire time. Repeat a couple of more times, and then add the egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk. At this point, remove the eggnog from heat and add in the vanilla. You can also add in rum or bourbon, if desired.
Serve the keto eggnog warm or chilled. Keep in mind that chilled eggnog will be thicker than warm eggnog. You can garnish a bit of nutmeg and a cinnamon stick to give it a holiday feel.
- Whisk the egg yolks and Swerve together in a medium bowl until light and airy.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, almond milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir often until mixture reaches a simmer and then turn the heat to low.
- Ladle about 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking as you pour. Do this 2 more times.
- Once most of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Whisk constantly for a few minutes, until the mixture slightly thickens. (It will thicken more as it cools.)
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and rum or bourbon, if using.
- Serve warm or chilled (See Note). Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg and/or a cinnamon stick.
- Store eggnog in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
If you have leftovers, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Make sure to give it a good stir before you drink it again. Happy holidays!