I often make keto bacon wrapped asparagus as a side dish, and adding a Swerve Brown “sugar” glaze makes these over-the-top delicious. Sweet, salty, crunchy, and even an earthy taste from the asparagus, you’ll taste buds will say wow! It is the perfect appetizer or side during the week or holiday season.
When cooking asparagus, I like to take a wire cooling rack and put it over the top of a sheet pan. This helps keep both the bacon and asparagus crispy instead of soggy.
This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make. Start by placing the asparagus on a large plate or platter. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Starting from about a 1/2 inch from the tip of the asparagus, tightly wrap a piece of bacon around each asparagus stalk. Place the asparagus on the wire rack.
Next, in a small pot heat the Swerve, butter, and cayenne (if using) over high heat. Stir often, until it is melted and bubbly for about 3 minutes. Brush the butter mixture over the tops of the bacon, and season with black pepper. Finally, bake for 20 minutes, turning each asparagus half way through the cooking time. If you notice the bacon is not crisp, set the oven to broil and place the pan on the top rack for 1-2 additional minutes. Your keto bacon wrapped asparagus is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a rimmed cookie sheet and set aside.
- On a large plate, drizzle asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Wrap each bacon strip tightly around an asparagus stalk, starting about ½ inch from the tip of the asparagus stalk. Place onto the prepared wire rack.
- In a small pot, heat brown swerve, butter, and cayenne (if using) over high heat. Stir often, until it is melted and bubbly for about 3 minutes.
- Brush butter and swerve mixture over each bacon wrapped asparagus and season with ground black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning each asparagus half way. If bacon is not crisp, set oven to broil and place pan on the top rack for 1-2 minutes.