Meals that can be made in one skillet are some of my favorites. They save you time at the end of the meal because there’s so much less to clean up! That’s why this super easy Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Bake is a regular meal at our house.
It’s filling, quick and easy to prepare, and perfect for busy weeknights. And the creamy cheese sauce makes this a definite comfort food meal, great for cold fall and winter nights.
How To Prepare Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Bake
Start by washing your squash, then pierce the squash all over with the tip of a sharp knife, which will allow it to vent in the microwave (this is an important step – so don’t skip it!) Cook for 5 mins, then rotate the squash. Repeat this step 3 times total, for a total cook time of 15 mins. Allow the squash to cool for 10-15 mins.
While you cook the squash, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. While any large oven-safe skillet will do, I like to use a cast iron. Cast iron retains heat better and cooks more evenly. You’ll want to melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes, tossing occasionally to make sure all sides are browned. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
In the same skillet, melt the last tablespoon of butter and add the garlic, stirring until fragrant. Now, stir in the heavy cream, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese until smooth. Simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
By this time, your spaghetti squash should be done cooling. Slice in half, remove the seeds, then use a fork to scrape the sides of the squash into spaghetti-like strands. If your squash doesn’t shred easily, you can put it back in the microwave (on a microwave safe dish) for another 2-4 mins, face down. Next, add the shredded squash into the Alfredo sauce. Add the chicken back into the skillet and toss everything together.
Top your chicken Alfredo spaghetti squash bake with shredded mozzarella. Place it in the oven and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Dinner is ready to enjoy!
How do I Store This Recipe
Baked spaghetti squash will keep well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days. Just reheat before serving. Make sure to follow all food safety guidelines when reheating this dish.
- Wash the spaghetti squash, then pierce the squash all over with the tip of a sharp knife (This will allow the squash to release steam/pressure in the microwave, so don't skip this step).
- Place the squash in the microwave and cook on high for 5 mins, then rotate the squash. Repeat this step of cooking for 5 mins and rotating until you have reached 15 mins of total cook time. Allow the squash to cool for 10-15 mins.
- While squash is cooling, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large oven-safe skillet (I use cast iron) melt 3 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook for 6-7 minutes, tossing occasionally to make sure all sides are browned. Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
- Melt the last 1 tbsp of butter into the same skillet and stir in garlic until fragrant.
- Stir in the heavy cream, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese until smooth and simmer until thickened, for 3-4 minutes. Season with extra salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- By this time, your spaghetti squash should be done cooling. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Use a fork to scrape the sides of the squash into spaghetti-like strand. (If your squash doesn't shred easily, place it on a microwave safe plate face down and microwave for an additional 2-5 mins.)
- Add the shredded squash and chicken into the skillet and toss everything together.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm. Store leftovers in fridge for up to 5 days.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this keto chicken alfredo recipe. If you’re looking for another spaghetti squash recipe, check out Keto-Friendly Spaghetti Squash Carbonara. You can also take a peek at my side dishes for recipes that will complement this delicious meal!
Anne Marie CikesFebruary 16, 2021 at 1:18 pm
Thank you for the recipe. You are. My inspiration.
Catia EspinozaJuly 26, 2021 at 7:39 pm
Taste better than i was expecting