If you like sauerkraut like I do, you are going to love this creamy sauerkraut and sausage soup. This recipe is so simple to prepare, and doesn’t need a lot of simmer time to get the full depth of flavor. This is a perfect meal to make ahead of time and reheat on a busy weeknight!
Creamy Sauerkraut and Sausage Soup
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 12 oz polish sausage or kielbasa sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 16-oz jar sauerkraut with brine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds optional
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in dutch oven or pot over medium/high heat. Toss in polish sausage pieces and brown for about 5 minute.
- Once sausage is browned, add celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 5-8 minutes
- Pour in chicken broth, and scrape the bottom of the pan to incorperate all of the brown bits (hello, flavor!). Then add sauerkraut, heavy cream, dill, ground pepper, and caraway seeds.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.