Sometimes a crisp, fresh salad makes for the perfect dinner on a warm summer day. This Thai Shrimp Salad recipe is full of flavor and textures. I love this salad because there’s so much going on with each bite. There’s crunch, sweetness, saltiness, tartness, and even a bit of heat.
You know that I’m a huge fan of quick and easy recipes. Because this salad only takes about 20 minutes to make, it’s a recipe you can put on your go-to list for busy weeknights.
Making Thai Shrimp Salad
The only cooking you will have to do is to quickly cook the shrimp. Start by spraying a skillet or indoor grill pan with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
Season the shrimp with chili powder and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. You will know when the shrimp is done because they will be pink and opaque. Take the shrimp off of the heat and place it into a large mixing bowl to cool slightly.
Next, prepare the dressing. Microwave the peanut butter in a small bowl for about 20 seconds. You just want to soften the peanut butter so it is easier to mix. Whisk in the lime juice, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, and ginger. Continue to whisk until the dressing is smooth. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside.
In the large mixing bowl that contains the shrimp, add the chopped green onion, coleslaw mix, bell pepper strips, cucumber, basil, and peanuts. If you cannot find Thai basil, you can use cilantro in its place. Toss together all of the ingredients until they are evenly distributed throughout the salad.
Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss together until everything is evenly coated. Divide the salad onto 4 large dinner plates and garnish with extra basil or top with sriracha. Yum!
- Cook Shrimp: Spray a large skillet or indoor grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Season shrimp with chili powder and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp are pink and opaque. Take the shrimp off of the heat and place into a large mixing bowl to cool slightly while you prepare the dressing.
- Prepare dressing: Start by microwaving the peanut butter in a small bowl for about 20 seconds. This is just to get the peanut butter to soften so it is easier to mix. Whisk in lime juice, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, and ginger until smooth. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
- Compose the salad: In the large mixing bowl with the shrimp, add green onion, coleslaw mix, bell pepper, cucumber, basil and peanuts. Toss together ingredients are distributed evenly throughout the salad.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss together until everything is evenly coated.
- Distribute onto 4 large dinner plates and garnish with extra basil or top with sriracha if desired.
Looking for other delicious salad recipes like this Thai Shrimp Salad? This simple and flavorful Broccoli Salad is a family favorite. This Curry Chicken Salad has a “wow” flavor factor – it’s another salad to try if you like big, bold flavors!
KarenJuly 18, 2022 at 4:28 pm
I made it tonight for my husband and daughter. My husband liked it but asked to warm up the cabbage salad along with the shrimp. He likes everything to be warm together. That’s an easy fix. We all liked it so we will have it again. We are also fans of the broccoli salad.