Egg bites are one of my favorite things to make while meal prepping for a busy week ahead. This “copycat” version of the popular on-the-go option from Starbucks is much more macro-friendly, as well as budget-friendly. I highly recommend investing in a silicone muffin pan, but a standard muffin tin works as well. Store any leftovers in a zip-top bag or Tupperware in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers on a microwave safe dish for 30-40 seconds, or feel free to eat these cold.
Bacon Gruyere Egg Bites
- 6 slices bacon precooked per package instruction
- 6 oz gruyere cheese grated and separated (approx 1.5 cups total)
- 7 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 tbsp half and half
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a standard sized muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Bake or fry the bacon until it's cooked through and crispy (Feel free to use pre-cooked for a shortcut). Then chop each piece of cooked bacon into four, equal sized pieces. Next, line the bottom of each muffin well with 2 pieces of the sliced bacon.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the shredded gruyere cheese evenly between the 12 muffin wells. Then add the remianing 3 ounces (3/4 cup) of gruyere into a large high speed blender.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the blender with the cheese. Once all ingredients are added, blend on high speed for about 1 minute (until everything is well incorporated and bubbles begin to form).
- Evenly pour the egg mixture into each muffin well, over the cheese and bacon, this will fill each well almost all the way to the top.
- Place the muffin tin inside a large rimmed roasting pan and pour hot water inside the roasting pan until the water comes up 1-2 inches along the outside bottom of the muffin tin.
- Bake the egg bites in the water bath for 30 min, until the eggs are set and the tops are slightly golden. Be careful when removing the baking sheet from the oven - Serve egg bites right away, or allow to cool before transfering to a container or zip-top bag for the fridge. Optional garnish: fresh chopped parsley or fresh ground pepper.