Sweet coconut comes together with delicate shrimp to make a hard-to-resist combo. This keto friendly coconut shrimp recipe allows you to ditch the deep-fried original version by using an air fryer or by baking it in the oven. You’ll still get the same crispy, crunchy shrimp you’re used to, but you’ll also be getting rid of lots of calories and carbs. One serving of shrimp along with my flavorful sweet and spicy sauce is only 5 grams net carbs!
Keto Coconut Shrimp
Dinner will be on the table in less than a half hour with this quick and easy recipe. You’ll need 3 shallow bowls to get started. In one bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until bubbles form. Put the coconut flakes in the last bowl.
Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge the shrimp in coconut flour mixture, then dip in egg whites, and then coat with coconut. Make sure to gently press the coconut onto the shrimp to get as much to stick as possible.
Spray the air fryer with coconut oil spray. Set air fryer to 380 degrees, and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
If you are not using an air fryer, preheat your oven to 400 degrees before step one. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet, and then carefully place the prepared shrimp onto the rack. Bake shrimp for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.
While the shrimp are cooking, prepare the sweet and spicy sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together well. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Air Fryer (optional)
Sweet and Spicy Sauce
- In a shallow bowl, combine coconut flour, salt and pepper.
- In a second shallow bowl, add the egg whites and whisk together until bubbles form.
- In a third shallow bowl, add the coconut.
- Working with one shrimp at a time, dredge shrimp in coconut flour mixture, then dip in egg whites, and then coat with coconut. You will want to press the coconut onto the shrimp to get as much to stick as possible.
- Spray air fryer with coconut oil cooking spray. Add shrimp to air fryer basket and then spray each shrimp generously with more coconut oil.
- Set air fryer to 380 degrees, and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- While shrimp are cooking, prepare sauce by combining all of the Sweet and Spicy Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix together. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
This Keto Coconut Shrimp recipe is fast, simple, and delicious! It’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners and sure to become a family favorite. For other Asian inspired low carb recipes, check out this Keto Egg Roll In a Bowl, one of my favorite recipes from my new book, Beyond Simply Keto. The Chicken And Veggie Stir Fry recipe are delicious as well.