I love to make these sausage stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer for parties, and they are always a HUGE hit. That being said, there’s no reason to wait for a special occasion because these sausage stuffed mushrooms are so easy to make, there are only 4 simple ingredients! Tender mushrooms, savory sausage, spinach, and cream cheese come together to create a flavor-packed bite!
Often times, I prep these in advance, and then pop them in the oven (or air fryer) before serving. I prefer to use Baby Bella mushrooms, as I find them more “hearty”, but white mushrooms work just as well. Prep is quick – just 15 minutes. Start by separating the mushroom caps from the stems. Reserve 1 cup of the mushroom stems, chop, and set aside.
Next, brown the sausage until cooked through and drain off the grease. Place the warm sausage into a large mixing bowl with the cream cheese.
Sauté the chopped mushroom stems in the pan. Once soft, add chopped spinach and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and spinach into the bowl with the sausage and cream cheese. Mix well to combine all the ingredients evenly.
Stuff the mushroom caps GENEROUSLY with sausage mixture. There shouldn’t be any mixture left over. Place the mushrooms on a wire cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Move the baking sheet to the top rack and broil on high for 1-2 minutes until the the mushrooms are bubbly and golden brown. Now enjoy!
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 32 large Baby Bella mushroom caps
- 1 c mushroom stems chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 lbs pork sausage mild or hot
- 1 c spinach chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate mushroom caps from mushroom stems. Reserve 1 cup of the mushroom stems, chop, and set aside.
- Brown pork sausage and drain. Place warm sausage over cream cheese in a large bowl.
- Sauté chopped mushroom stems in pan. Once soft, add chopped spinach and sautee for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach and mushroom mixture to bowl with sausage. Mix well to incorporate.
- Stuff mushroom caps GENEROUSLY with sausage mixture.
- Bake on a wire cooling rack over a rimmed sheet pan for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to top rack in the oven and broil on high for an additional 1-2 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Another delicious and versatile sausage appetizer that you should check out is this Keto Sausage Balls recipe. You won’t be able to eat just one!