I love lasagna! It’s such a comfort food and something our whole family loves. This noodle-less, low carb recipe is much easier (and quicker!) to make than traditional lasagna, but with all of the same flavors. One of my favorite lasagna recipes is from my second book, Beyond Simply Keto, and it’s layered with veggies. This lasagna bake is strictly just the meat, cheese, and sauce, so you can choose which keto friendly veggies you’d like for a side. You can also add chopped spinach, diced zucchini, or sliced mushrooms to the meat mixture if you prefer.
The recipe also calls for using a cast iron skillet. If you don’t have one, you can use a regular skillet to cook the meat and use a 9×9 baking dish or 3 quart casserole dish. After cooking, transfer the meat mixture into that and then top with the ricotta mixture and mozzarella cheese.
Making Low Carb Lasagna Bake
Start by preheating the oven to 400F.
Spray a 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium/high heat until the skillet is hot. Add and brown the sausage, beef, and onion for about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure all of the meat browns evenly. Drain any excess grease from the pan.
Now add in the garlic, salt and pepper and stir together for about 1 minute until garlic is fragrant. Stir in the marinara sauce (make sure it’s sugar-free). Turn the heat to low and allow to simmer while you prepare the ricotta topping.
To prepare the cheese mixture, mix together the ricotta, eggs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ½ cup parmesan cheese and ½ cup mozzarella cheese. (If you are using a baking dish or casserole, you can put the meat in it now. Spread the ricotta mixture over the meat mixture evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. You can garnish with fresh chopped basil if you’d like – I recommend it!
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Spray a 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium/high heat. Brown the sausage, beef and onion for about 7 minutes. Drain any excess grease from the pan. Add in garlic, salt and pepper and stir together for about 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in marinara sauce and turn heat to low while you prepare the ricotta topping.
- Mix together the ricotta, eggs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ½ cup parmesan cheese and ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the meat mixture evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil
If you enjoy this lasagna bake, make sure to check out some of my other casserole recipes. This “Mac” and Cheese casserole is always a hit!
Lori McCordFebruary 14, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Delicious and super easy. My husband loved it when I topped off his pasta with a serving. I liked it plain but could be used on top of konjak noodles