You may have seen a recipe that recently went viral on TikTok, called Baked Feta Pasta. We made it keto style with Baked Feta Zoodles!
It is rumored that the original recipe (which includes pasta) caused a feta block shortage. It seems many stores are selling out of the 8oz feta blocks, but we were able to find them at our local store. Anyway, as soon as I saw the Baked Feta Pasta, I knew I wanted to create a low-carb and keto-friendly version.
This recipe is super easy to make, and the ingredients are really simple and fresh. Not to mention, it’s pretty satisfying to blend the tomatoes and melted feta together when the baking is done.
I decided to add pesto (which is optional) because I have always loved the flavor combo of feta, tomato, and pesto. The fun thing about this recipe is that it’s really easy to customize to your liking. Some people add spinach, butternut squash, or low carb noodles instead of zoodles. Feel free to play around and make your own spin on the recipe.
How to make baked feta zoodles
Let’s get started by preheating our oven to 400 degrees. Find a large oven-safe baking dish able to hold all of our delicious grape tomatoes. Dump in all of the tomatoes and then drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper and then toss until well mixed.
Now, take the 8 0z of Feta cheese block and place it in the center of the dish, moving the cherry tomatoes out of the way. Drizzle the feta cheese block with more olive oil and season with salt & pepper once again.
Place the dish in the oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until the tomatoes burst and the feta cheese is soft. While you’re baking the block of feta cheese and tomatoes prepare the zucchini noodles. I use a spiralizer for this, but feel free to use any method you like to make the zoodles. When there are about 10 minutes of bake time left, quickly saute the zoodles for about 2-3 minutes.
After the 35 minute bake time is complete, take out the dish and start mixing. This is the incredibly satisfying part. Mix the softened feta cheese with the burst tomatoes and burst any tomatoes that may remain. This will make the sauce very creamy as it mixes with the cheese.
Next, add in the pest and stir until it is well combined. Add the zucchini noodles and toss until all the noodles are coated in the feta tomato sauce. You can finish the dish with a little grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Place the tomatoes in a large oven-safe baking dish. Drizzle 1/3 cup olive oil over tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Toss until well combined.
- Place the feta block in the center, moving the tomatoes out of the center, surrounding the feta block. Drizzle the top of the feta with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the cherry tomatoes burst, and the feta cheese is soft.
- When the tomatoes and feta have about 10 mins left of bake time, quickly sauté 6 cups of zucchini noodles, for 2-3 mins (you want them to be crisp and not too soft) in a non stick pan with a little cooking spray. Then set to aside in a strainer. (This will help remove excess liquids from the zucchini).
- When the 35 mins are up, carefully remove the feta and tomatoes from the oven and use a spoon or spatula to combine the melted feta and tomatoes. (Be sure to crush any tomatoes that don't break apart when stirring)
- Next, add in pesto and stir until well combined.
- Lastly, toss in the zoodles and stir one more time. Finish with fresh basil, grated parmesan, and season with salt and pepper.
Like this recipe? Try some of our other Italian style dishes, like the Tuscan Keto Chicken, or one of my favs, the Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Bake! Be sure to share this recipe with your friend!