Chicken breasts baked in salsa and smothered in cheese? Who can say no to that for dinner! This quick and easy recipe requires only 5 ingredients and nearly no prep time. Delicious and flavorful Mexican style Salsa Chicken will be on your plate in only 35 minutes from start to finish!
Start by preheating the oven. Next, heat up a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Spray the hot skillet with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the pan. Cook the chicken on each side until browned, about 2 minutes or so.
Place the chicken into a 9×9 baking dish, cover in salsa and then sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees.
You might notice a lot of extra liquid once it is baked. That’s what keeps the chicken breast moist! I just spoon the flavorful liquid over the top of my chicken breast once it is plated.
Top the salsa chicken with your favorite low-carb toppings. Some of my favorites are avocado, sour cream, cilantro, fresh lime wedges, and green onions. Enjoy the chicken by with a side salad. Other options include roasted veggies, or cauli-rice for a well rounded keto meal. Enjoy!
Baked Salsa Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp chili powder or taco seasoning
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 2 cups chunky salsa no sugar added
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and heat large skillet over high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and transfer chicken to skillet. Cook chicken for 2 minutes per side, or until just browned.
- Place chicken into a 9x9 baking dish, cover in salsa and then sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro if desired.
For more tasty dinner ideas that are ready in just a half hour, I’ve got plenty! Try my Egg Roll In A Bowl, Butter Chicken, and Chicken Veggie Stir Fry recipes. I also have other dinner recipes – most of which are ready in less than an hour!