This is one of my favorite keto recipes, keto twice baked cauliflower casserole. I make it at least once a week and my husband and daughter love it. You can use it as a side dish, or as a meal on it’s own. I also make this whenever I feel like a craving for mash potatoes and it really hits the spot!
The cauliflower is cooked 2 ways. First it’s boiled to soften it, and after that it’s baked with all kinds of yummy ingredients. As a result you get a creamy, flavorful casserole that your family will devour. Think of everything you’d put on a loaded mashed potato and it’s in this casserole!
Start by frying 6 slices of bacon. You can use Bacon Bits if you want to take a shortcut. Once the bacon is done, chop into small pieces. Meanwhile as the bacon fries, boil a pot of water and add salt. Next, cut the stem and core from the cauliflower and disregard. After that, chop the remaining cauliflower into small pieces, and add to the boiling salted water. Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes. Drain well.
In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, parmesan cheese and 4 pieces of chopped fully cooked bacon. If you want a creamier consistency, you can add the optional heavy whipping cream as well. Add the drained cauliflower and use a potato masher or mixing whisk to get to the desired consistency. Spread it into a casserole dish, top with cheddar cheese and remaining bacon. Bake 15-20 minutes, and this hearty keto twice baked cauliflower casserole is ready!
Keto Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
- 6 slices bacon or small bag of precooked bacon bits.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- To make this recipe extra creamy, add 1 tbs of heavy whipping cream when adding ingredients, this will add 11 calories per serving to the macros listed.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate. Allow to cool and then chop.
- Core the cauliflower and chop the florets into small pieces.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, boil the cauliflower until soft. 15-18 minutes for a chunkier texture or 20-22 minutes for a super smooth texture.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, green onions, garlic powder, and two-thirds of the bacon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Drain cauliflower well, then pour the cauliflower over the cream cheese mixture in the bowl. Mash with a potato masher or whisk until it is the consistency of your liking. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture evenly in a 3 qt. casserole dish. Top with the cheddar cheese and remaining bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Another family favorite is this Keto Cheeseburger Casserole. Yum!