This sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast bake is delicious and easy to make. I love casseroles because they are a meal made in one pan. This is the perfect simple breakfast casserole to start the day!
This sausage, egg, and cheesy bake recipe is hearty and packed with flavors. It’s sure to become a favorite for your weekly meal prepping since it makes six servings and reheats so well. It can be enjoyed as breakfast, brunch, or even lunch.
Why You’ll Love This Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Bake
- Ready in less than an hour, and with only 15 minutes of prep time, this bake is sure to be a hit!
- It’s the perfect way to add protein to your day.
- Easy to prep and bake in the morning for the perfect sausage breakfast overnight casserole
- Unsalted butter
- Yellow onions
- Breakfast sausage
- Heavy whipping cream
- Garlic clove
- Ground black pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How To Make Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch deep-dish pie dish or baking dish with coconut oil or nonstick cooking spray.
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until evenly browned for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Whisk the eggs, cream, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Spread the sausage and onion mixture evenly on the bottom of the prepared dish and top with the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese. Bake for 35 minutes, until the eggs are set, and the top is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes before serving to ensure the eggs are set.
Leftovers of this sausage, egg, and cheese bake can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Garlic powder: If you don’t have a fresh garlic clove, swap out and use ¼ tsp of garlic powder instead.
Shredded cheese: While I prefer the flavor of cheddar cheese, you can easily use any type of cheese that you want.
Salted butter: If all you have in the house is salted butter, use it for this simple egg and cheese casserole recipe and omit the additional salt ingredient.
Heavy Whipping Cream: If you don’t have any heavy whipping cream on hand feel free to use half and half.
How to Store
If you have leftovers of this cheesy sausage egg casserole, you can store it and enjoy it later. All you need to do is add it to an airtight container and keep it cool in the fridge. It should be eaten within 2-3 days of storage.
How to Reheat
When you’re ready to enjoy this easy egg and sausage casserole, you can reheat your serving in the microwave. Add some more shredded cheese on top, too if you’d like! (You can never have too much cheese!)
Toppings Suggestions for Sausage Egg and Cheese Casserole without Bread
This is where this cheesy egg casserole really stands out! Everyone can easily add their own toppings to create their perfect flavor.
Some topping suggestions:
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Fresh cilantro and chives
- Sliced avocado
And those are just a few suggestions! Each person can add anything that they’d like or just eat it as is.
Can I freeze this egg casserole dish?
This is best eaten fresh. Freezing baked eggs can happen, but unthawing them would create an unpleasant texture.
Can I add vegetables to this breakfast casserole recipe?
This would be a great way to add more veggies to the family’s diet. Chopped broccoli would be a great addition, as would mushrooms, too!
How do I know when a casserole is cooked all the way through?
You’re going to want to make sure that the casserole is cooked thoroughly. You can use a knife to cut into the center of the casserole to make sure that there isn’t any runniness. You can also shake the casserole dish slightly to ensure there isn’t any jiggle.
When it comes to a delicious egg, sausage, and cheese recipe, you can’t go wrong with this simple bake! It’s fast, it’s flavorful, and it’s hearty! Fill up your plate and dig in!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch deep-dish pie dish or baking dish with coconut oil or nonstick cooking spray.Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook until evenly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the sausage and onion mixture evenly on the bottom of the prepared dish and top with the cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until the eggs are set and the top is lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes before serving. Leftovers can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
CALORIES: 394 | FAT: 33 g | PROTEIN: 21.8 g | TOTAL CARBS: 2.6 g | NET CARBS: 2.6 g